How to Notify Everyone of Your Address Change

Whether you’re moving down the street or across the country, it’s important to notify everyone of your new address. Don’t risk missing important bills or packages!


Visit your local post office and ask for the Mover’s Guide packet. Inside you will find PS Form 3575, the change of address form. Fill it out and give it to a postal worker or drop it in the letter slot.

1. The Post Office

Whether you’re selling your old home and moving to a new one, or helping an elderly family member move into permanent housing, you will likely need to submit a change of address form with the United States Postal Service. Luckily, USPS is quite good about forwarding mail after an address change.

Depending on your situation you can complete the change of address process online or in person. If you go in person, USPS workers can ensure your new address gets inputted into their system almost instantly.

2. Your Bank

Your financial accounts should be near the top of your list when changing addresses. This includes banks, credit card companies and investment brokerages. These organizations often report to credit agencies, so keeping their records aligned with your new address can help prevent identity theft.

Changing your address with these institutions can be done online or by calling in. Additionally, be sure to change your address with any clubs, subscription boxes or organizations that send you a monthly order of goods. This will ensure they receive your order and avoid a returned package.

3. Your Employer

If you work from home or a remote office, your employer needs to know about your address change. It will help them update your payroll information and keep other important documents mailed to the right place.

You can file a permanent or temporary address change with the Post Office online or in person. The latter requires you to pick up a Mover’s Guide packet, fill out PS Form 3575 and give it to a postal worker or drop it in the mail slot. You may also want to directly notify your employer and social security or Medicare agencies.

4. Your Utility Company

Your property manager, landlord or realtor can help you understand which utilities you’ll need at your new home. They can also work with you to initiate, terminate or transfer services at your new address.

If you choose a permanent change of address option, the postal service will forward your mail for up to 1 year. If you need a temporary solution, make sure to schedule an appointment a few weeks before your move date with your provider. This will prevent magazines, catalogues and packages from ending up on the wrong doorstep.

5. Your Credit Card Company

Keeping your credit card billing address accurate helps ensure that important documents and cards linked to your account reach you, and also helps protect you from identity theft and credit card fraud. In addition, some online and in-person credit card purchases require you to enter your billing address for verification purposes.

You can usually change your address with your credit card company via their website or app, or by calling customer support. They may also report your new address to the credit bureaus.

8. Your Clubs & Organizations

It’s easy to overlook places like your clubs at Sam’s Club or Costco, delivery box services (Venmo or Hello Fresh) and even publications you may subscribe to as well as online sites you use for subscriptions such as Book of the Month or Comic Boxes. Changing your address with these is an easy way to make sure you don’t miss important correspondence or valuable discounts. You can change your address on these accounts with either a permanent or temporary forwarding option.

9. Your Insurance Company

If you own or operate a business, it is very important to change your address on all financial accounts. You should also let your vendors, suppliers, retailers and lenders know about your move.

Changing your address with the Post Office is easy and quick. You can do it online or in person. It will forward your mail (except periodicals) for one year.

10. Your Tax Return

Often overlooked, the IRS requires that you update your address any time you move. This ensures they send you any tax-related documents in a timely fashion.

You can call them to change your address or go to your local IRS office. You’ll need to provide identifying information such as your full name, date of birth, Social Security number (or EIN for businesses), old and new address. In person, you’ll need to bring a photo ID. A form is also available online. You may also use Form 8822 or 8822-B.